Monday, May 4, 2009

Horseback Riding Fitness for Mature Riders -- Help Your Body When You Ride



Guest Post by Nanette Levin, Owner of Halcyon Acres

First, I’d like to say that I don’t consider myself mature. You (usually) can’t see my gray hairs, there’s not too much gathering in my midsection, the sun hasn’t yet cratered my face, I’m more active than most teenagers (that’s not saying much these days), and I’ve been accused on more than one occasion of being childish.

It seemed important to make this clear. That said, I’ve definitely noticed some challenges riding, particularly in the last decade or so as I have seen my thirties wane and have roared well into my forties.

Paul asked me to discuss how I’ve altered my routine to accommodate some of the physical challenges – many borne from injury, some just plain about getting older - that have developed over the years. For the record, I still gallop Thoroughbred racehorses at an area track and start and fix young horses under saddle at Halcyon Acres.

Stretching prior to riding (I’m not as vigilant about this as I should be) has really helped. This is a good practice for anyone, but becomes essential later in life. Try to stretch the muscles you use most (think thighs and shoulders), but don’t forget about the hips, ankles, calves, the neck, and back. Simply spending twenty minutes stretching, can not only keep you from getting sore, but also help avoid injury. To offer extra assurances the toxins are released from my muscles periodically, I have also incorporated massage twice a month.

These days, I always wear a back brace when riding. Having torn a major ligament, my back just isn’t what it used to be. It helps to have the support to avoid future injury and offer additional strength. If you have an area that’s giving you trouble, try wrapping it and you may be amazed how much less pain you suffer.

I now listen to my body instead of riding through the pain. If I pull something, I take care of it. Sometimes this requires rest. I’ve also become a big believer in ice. Twenty minutes on; twenty minutes off; coupled with some massage to an injured area can really speed the healing process and minimize the discomfort.

Sometimes you have to learn to say no. This can be extremely challenging when you’re used to doing it all, but I do not hesitate to let some cocky young rider rise to the challenge of a difficult horse anymore as I happily climb aboard the “boring” steed. That’s saved me from feeling old on a whole bunch of occasions.

You get wiser too. I spend a lot more time on the ground than I used to with young horses that are fractious, concerned or just plain belligerent. It is amazing how effectively you can teach a lesson in the stall, the round pen or with long reins and have it understood once you hop on their backs. This saves a lot of time in the long term too, because riding becomes a pleasant cooperative experience developed from a communications process that is clear. It’s also a lot easier to ride without pain if you’re not brushing dirt off your backside.

I’ve found water to be more critical as the years have passed. Merely keeping hydrated can help you avoid a lot of muscle ache after a particularly rigorous day.

Finally, I’ve had to slow down. Gone is the routine of riding twenty or more horses in a day. Instead, I take on less, but enjoy it a good deal more. Breaks between horses also gives the body time to recuperate and muscles time to relax.

Older and wiser is a term that didn’t mean much to me years ago, but as it’s become necessary to supplement brawn with brain, I’m getting it. Now I just wish I could go back a couple of decades and institute the care required now to avoid some of the creaky quirks that remind me daily of neglectful mistakes made in the past.

2 comments:

  1. Great article! Nanette makes some very valid points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanette, I admire you! I'm the opposite of you as a rider, but even we pashas of Western Pleasure need to pay attention to our fitness. Wanted to recommend an exercise program created by riders, for riders: Equi-Stretch, at www.equistretch.com, helps with strenghtening and stretching.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. If you'd like me to respond to you directly, please leave an email address. All comments are moderated, so there may be a delay of a day or so before your comment is posted.